Introvert vs Extrovert which one are you? I thought I knew what introverted and extroverted was until I started looking into it. I found out I was wrong! Here’s what I learned and give you a quiz that you can use to decide if you are an introvert or an extrovert.
Can you guess when one of us is introverted and which one is extroverted?
Can you guess which one Seamus and I are? Before you guess, let’s do a little comparison of introvert vs extrovert just to make sure that you have all of the info. (Then I’ll give you a little quiz to help you figure out which you are.)
- Like to spend more time thinking about things than actually having conversations with other people
- is probably somebody who gets drained, being around a lot of people.
- If they have to attend a large gathering for a while, they’ll have to spend time afterward alone or in a very small group to recharge their energy.
- Tend to spend a lot of time thinking things through in their head before they speak.
- Love being around a group of people.
- Enjoy being the center of attention.
- Crowds and being the center of attention actually gives them more energy.
- May speak before they really think about it.
Here’s an Example of Introvert vs Extrovert We Can All Relate to
Lockdown has been challenging for all of us. Let’s face it, change is hard. However, you might not have realized that introverts and extroverts have had differing experiences (or if you did), you might not have realized why this was the case.
During the Lockdown, Introverts are Probably Coping Better
This is because they like their own company and it’s not bothering them that they’re not able to go out and socialize. They may even be enjoying it because they don’t have to keep coming up with reasons not to go to parties or large social gatherings.
Extroverts are Probably Finding Lockdown Challenging
This is Not to Say That Introverts Can’t Command Attention in a Room
Introverts can be great speakers and performers. They just don’t generally speak up in a crowd for the sake of doing it. I’m sure that you can all think of people who command the attention of a room when they start speaking and other people who are just really, really quiet.
I Remember When I Started Dating Seamus…
My mom was really concerned because he rarely spoke. As we got to know him, we realized that he was just thinking his own thoughts and he was quite happy in his own head. Can you guess which Seamus is?
Seamus is an Introvert
So it’s pretty clear from that story that Seamus is an Introvert, but what would you say I am? It’s not always super clear. If you are struggling to figure out which you are, I have a quiz that you can use to help you figure it out.
Introvert vs Extrovert Quiz
Are you still unsure if you are an introvert or an extrovert? Here is a quiz to help you figure it out.
- Are the people who know you best more likely to describe you as someone who is a. quiet and reflective or b. outgoing and talkative in groups?
- If you had to work with somebody who is brash and overbearing would you be a. timid and quiet or would you be b. just as loud and boisterous or even more so?
- How do you like to recharge your batteries? Do you a. like to spend time alone or b. go out with a group of friends?
- If you had to choose one holiday, which would you choose? Would you choose a. a warm beach and a book either alone or with a small group of people OR b. would you choose to be on a cruise where you can get to meet loads of new people?
- Do you feel like you are more yourself when you’re a. in the background or b. the center of attention.
- Do you tend to find talking to new people, a. awkward or b. energizing?
- When you meet someone for the first time do you usually do a. most of the listening or b. most of the talking?
- In your free time at the weekend, do you prefer a. sharing, a deep conversation with a good friend or would you rather b. mingle at a party full of people you’ve never met?
- Are you more productive when you’re a. in a quiet room by yourself or b. in a room with other people?
- After attending a large party or event, how do you feel? Are you b. tired and not even close to thinking about going to another party or are you b. energized and ready to party some more?
How to Score the Quiz
If you chose mostly A answers, it means that you’re an introvert. If you chose mostly B answers, that means that you’re an extrovert. And if you’re sort of 50 50, they call it an ambivert. So you’re in between.
So Mary is an Extrovert Right?
Wrong! I’m actually an introvert too. Some of you would have said that I’m an extrovert, but I definitely am an introvert. I love my time alone. Being in lockdown due to COVID does not bother me too much because I’m quite happy at home in my own company.
But You Get on Facebook Lives and Things?
I definitely have to get my energy level up before I get on live video or speak in front of people. One of my favorite tricks to do that is to jump up and down. It helps me to get energized. If you want to hear more about how introverts can manage their energy and succeed even in a field like sales (which seems like it would just be a field for extroverts), check out this article.
We Know Our Limits Too
If we are at large events and we have been mingling and talking to people, it can drain us. We make sure to plan time to slip away. So we can get back to the hotel room and have a little time alone to recharge our batteries.
I know my Introverts vs Extrovert title is a little misleading. The truth is, you aren’t limited by being extroverted or introverted. You just need to recognize that certain things come easier to introverts and extroverts. Hopefully, by taking the quiz, you will know more about yourself and how to manage your energy to accomplish all of your goals and dreams! Let us know in the comments below, were you surprised to find out that you were introverted or extroverted?